Rice on the bottom, salad in the middle, chicken on top of that, small herbed white pizza bite on top of that… is it Asian? Is it Italian?! Can it possibly be French? Or since it’s a mix of all of that, shall we call it American?!?
Well, whatever it is, it’s mighty tasty and I am glad I had the patience to take photos of it tonight to share with you all before promptly and blissfully devouring it.
This was my dinner after a long day of pastry-making today, and it will definitely be a repeat in this girl’s house. (or tiny apartment, but that’s neither here nor there.) The tender chicken, the crisp yet creamy pizza topping, the fresh greens combining with the uplifting acidity of the salad and its dressing, all complemented by the fine grains of refreshing rice on the bottom– I hope it will become a repeat satiating plate in your domestic abode, as well.
It was awful.
Rice Chicken Pizza Top Salad
2 chicken breasts, cut into 2” tenders
1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
2 tbs. high heat oil
1 1/2 tsp herbes de provence
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 cup cooked brown or basmati rice, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 cups baby greens, washed, dried
6 cherry tomatoes, washed, dried, and quartered
4 tbs. your favorite balsamic or honey mustard dressing*
salt and pepper to taste
2 large gluten-free crackers, or 1 slice your favorite gluten-free bread, halved
2 slices goat cheese, aged provolone, or gruyere, or caramelized onions or dairy-free cheese alternative (enough to cover crackers)
1 tbs. fresh basil, cut into ribbons
1/2 tbs. fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
Cook time: 8 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Serves 2-3 (depending upon appetite)
1. Cook up your chicken in a saute pan: Season chicken tenders with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and herbes de provence. Heat about 1-2 tbs. high heat oil (enough to coat the pan lightly) over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, but not smoking, drop in chicken tenders with no overlap. Sear for 1-2 minutes (until browned), flip, and sear for another minute. Drop in diced onion, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for another 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. (No pink.)
2. Meanwhile, toast your pizza topping: top your favorite gluten-free bread, cracker, or chip with a slice of lactose-light cheese (might I recommend goat’s cheese) or dairy-free cheese or caramelized onions. Top with fresh rosemary, thyme, and basil. Broil for about 3-4 minutes, or until soft and just starting to brown a tiny bit.
3. You’re ready to start plating! Add cooked rice to bottom of a deep plate/large bowl.
4. Toss greens, dressing, and tomatoes in mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top rice with tossed salad.
5. Top with cooked chicken and any extra juices and onion bits.
6. Top with your white pizza toast that is now done.
Delicioso, delicious, delicieux, おいしい, טעים מאוד and all those good things.